Type Drives Culture Conference 2020
The Changing Faces of Typography
The Type Directors Club celebrates the undeniable significance of typography around the world. The TDC is a global community of experts and enthusiasts who are united by the shared belief that type drives culture. And culture drives type. Under the motto “Formation,” the Conference tackles the role of design in our systems-based world.
Organized by the Type Directors Club with support from the Communication Design programs at Parsons School of Design at The New School, this year’s Type Drives Culture conference convenes on March 27th, 2020 to bring together leading designers, curators, writers, and thinkers to explore the present and possible futures of design.
Type Drives Culture Conference 2020 speakers and topics:
- Brian Collins on Design as Change Agent
- A conversation on the future of our field with Andrew Blauvelt—a curator, designer, and writer who currently serves as Director of the Cranbrook Art Museum—and Michael Rock, co-founder of 2×4, moderated by Juliette Cezzar
- Saki Mafundikwa, the founder of Zimbabwe’s first graphic design program, ZIVA, and the author of Afrikan Alphabets
- Petr van Blokland, software author and typeface designer, on systematic design
- Mitch Paone, Creative Director of Dia, on their “input —> output” studio approach and kinetic identity design
- Andy Clymer on code as a type design tool
- Presentations by award-winning designers and thinkers Tracy Ma, Tori Hinn, Frida Medrano, and Stephen Coles
- A live podcast taping of Scratching the Surface with Jarrett Fuller
- A two-hour reception with the speakers and panelists directly following the programming
Type Drives Culture Conference 2020—The Changing Faces of Typography
Alvin Johnson / J.M. Kaplan Hall
Parsons School of Design at The New School
66 West 12th Street
New York, NY 10011
March 27th, 2020
8:30 a.m.–7:30 p.m.
TDC Members: 120.– $
Non-Members: 140.– $