ABC. Avantgarde – Bauhaus – Corporate Design
The Gutenberg-Museum in Mainz, the world museum of printing art, is throwing a spotlight on Bauhaus typography on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Bauhaus, which revolutionized graphic and communication design and continues to influence it worldwide to this day.
The special exhibition “ABC. Avantgarde – Bauhaus – Corporate Design” shows in a series of six to seven thematic sections the prerequisites and different phases of the development of “Bauhaus Typography”, as it was first created in Weimar and especially between 1925 and 1932 at the new location in Dessau. Above all, the artistic quality and originality of the typographic designs and products on display are surprising and form a focal point of the exhibition, which documents the creative and creative potential as well as the functional significance of the grotesque typeface at the Bauhaus – and far beyond.
Vernissage on 5 September 2019, 7.p.m.
Supporting programme for the vernissage on 05 September 2019, 7 p.m.:
- Michael Ebling, Lord Mayor of the State Capital Mainz
- Prof. Dr. Konrad Wolf, Minister of Science, Continuing Education and Culture of the State of Rhineland-Palatinate
- Friederike Zobel, Federal Cultural Foundation, Research Assistant Bauhaus 2019
- Wolfgang Thoener, Head of the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation Collection
- Prof. Dr. Wulf Herzogenrath, Director of the Visual Arts Section of the Akademie der Künste Berlin “The one bauhaus doesn’t exist – at least 5 phases, also in typography.”
- Marianne Grosse, Department Head for Building, Monument Preservation and Culture of the State Capital Mainz
- Dr. Annette Ludwig, Director of the Gutenberg Museum, Exhibition Curator
Avant-garde musical interludes by Hagen Pätzold.
Festive finale with music and wine.
Admission from 18.20.
Tuesday–Saturday 9–17 o’clock
Sunday 11–17 o’clock
Closed on Monday and public holidays
Guided tours and events take place regularly as part of the accompanying programme.
Supported by Kulturstiftung des Bundes.